Tuesday, May 3, 2011

doG...God



Lucy's story from 2 summers ago...









Who would have thought that my car not starting that morning ALONG with me missing the usual 8:00 morning bus would be divine timing? And what in God’s name were people thinking as they see me running across NW Highway –in at least 3+ inch heels mind you– braving 6 lanes of Dallas morning traffic? Crazy? And all this for a dog…?
The little red haired terrier mix was dumped out in the church parking lot across the street from my neighborhood. I stood there waiting for the later bus while watching this entire event take place in total disbelief as to what was truly happening. Surely, they are just letting the dog out to potty…Surely they’re not driving off…what the *&^…
Next thing I know, I’m waving my bus to go on without me while crazily running across the six lane highway trying to avoid becoming road kill myself. My only thought is to get to this pup before she is completely lost in the woods behind the church or even worse, the opposite direction toward the busy highway and onslaught of moving cars. Out of breath, but still alive, I arrive safely across and call out to her. Surprisingly enough, she comes right to me! No fear, no apprehension – if only us humans could harness this power of unconditional love and trust as animals truly do.
Long story short – Lucy (as in ‘I Love Lucy’…appropriately named for her reddish hair and crazy terrier behavior) has been with us ever since that day. I would tell you that it’s a happily ever after story – but for future adoptees sake and general rescue knowledge – let me present you with the truth in love:
Lucy & I are learning to co-exist and have a mutual respect and love for each other. I am learning to understand that she is a terrier and behaves as a terrier and there is nothing I can do to change that (despite my ignorant failed attempts for almost 2 years now). I am learning that she is a special being with special needs: not a bulldog or a great dane or a lab or just simply a ‘dog’. But, if I will accept her as she is and spend quality time with her each day; continuing to try and learn how to best communicate with her, she will in turn love me unconditionally and be the best of friends with my other k-9 kids. What better gift could you receive?
That day will always be etched in my mind…had I let my patience get the best of me, I would have missed out on the lesson and continual blessings that God has in store for me through this glorious creature.

1 comment:

  1. Shannon, I love this. "When I accepted her as a terrier...for what and who she is..."

    Powerful, powerful truth there, my friend!

    ReplyDelete